Monday, March 2, 2009

Coconut beet paleo recipes

I'm going to try to post here a bit more often. After I finished chemo the post count dropped like my platelet count after chemo. Why? Because blogging made me feel like I was still sick. Despite the front I kept up, when I was on chemo I felt like shit. Blogging made me feel like I was still on chemo, so I didn't want to do it. I don't feel that way anymore, so I'm back.

Cancer and chemo changed me for the better. Most obvious to me and everyone else is a new attitude toward food. Before I put something in my mouth (or in the shopping cart), I ask myself, "Is this going to nourish me?" Usually that means 'nourish my body,' but sometimes it means 'nourish my soul.' They're not always one in the same.

With that in mind, I'm going to share some of my favourite online recipes. Often, when dinnertime rolls around, I look in the fridge and see what we've got. Then I enter those things in Google, plus the words 'PALEO RECIPES,' and see what pops up. The results can be surprising, tasty, and always interesting. Try it sometime, it's fun!

One of my best finds used the words COCONUT and BEET, believe it or not - Coconut beet borscht from Catalyst Athletics. Robb Wolf's page is a great source for meal ideas (check out some of the others on the left, like this one for a brussels sprout and bacon stir fry).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My beef with the paleo diet is that it doesn't encourage the consumption grains...and grains can be so yummy at times!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Howdy Bob, Patricia from Nashville here. I, for one, am glad you will be posting again.

Question: Have you ever done a colon cleanse? I understand all that doctor schmoctor stuff about your colon being self cleansing and all but I FEEL like I want to try it. Thought you might have some thoughts (yes?) and could direct me someplace for directions. Hope Anna and bambino Matty are well!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe site. Thank you for sharing it.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I think if you are doing any kind of cleanse... the only one that you may want to consider if you have animals is a parasite cleanse. Spring and fall. Don't do it on your own though. And don't fall for all the crap cleanses now on the market. Get help with them and do them with a natropath or certified professional.. Nowadays... healthy living is catching on and everyone and their dog is coming up with ways to tell you how to be more healthy. And they are really good at saying they are the best!! Check everything out THOROUGHLY... you don't want to put anything in your body that will make it worse off.
J :)