Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Good thing I got over my fear of needles

Here's the short version of a long story. My immunoglobulin levels are abnormally low. This was the case prior to chemotherapy, and has continued to this day. Whether it predated cancer is unknown. My oncologist basically shrugged his shoulders and said he couldn't do anything about it, talk to my GP. My GP sent me to an immunologist in Toronto, who took some blood (all doctors are vampires, I'm discovering). The immunologist told me I have panhypogammaglobulinemia. Am I ever glad I took a medical terminology course as part of my paramedic diploma. That 24-letter monstrosity means that all of my gammaglobulin levels are low. That immunologist said I would need a therapy called intravenous immunoglobulins, or IVIG. He sent me to another immunologist who apparently provides this treatment. Of course, no doctor is content to believe the blood test results from previous doctors, so this doctor/vampire ordered new blood tests. These tests will not only gauge my current immunoglobulin status, but also the effectiveness of previous vaccines I've received.

One thing I did have confirmed is a statistical link between NHL, celiac disease (I may or may not be celiac, but I do have a gluten sensitivity), and low gamma globulins.

So that's where we're at right now. Going home tonight, finally.

No comments: