Saturday, February 23, 2008

Staring at the ceiling

Aline, my mystical healer, told me to get more rest. So here I am at 1:15 am, awake. I was in bed earlier, but couldn't stop staring at the ceiling. It's getting pretty common for me to go to sleep between 1 and 3 am, and not get up until 10 or 11. I'm fortunate that I'm able to do that on my four days off. But when I'm at work my sleep gets completely messed up and I finish the 4 days on completely drained.

Aline also said she felt in me the urge to travel. So I told her about the Makobe River trip planned for May. That's keeping me going, my motivation to stay healthy and come out the other end of chemo better than ever. Like Nietzsche said, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

All that said, I'm ready for chemo to be over. Been there, done that. Once chemo has done it's job, I'll say thank you very much, move on and won't look back.

I did enter some dietary information on FitDay yesterday, you can see it here. (Aline also asked me if I was losing weight, not something a 145 lb. athlete on chemotherapy wants to hear.) I must admit that recently I've been eating two big meals a day, breakfast (at noon) and dinner (at 6), plus some snacking in the afternoon or evening. But I was surprised to see that yesterday I only took in 2000 calories. Someone like me "should" eat 2500 a day. Carbs could have been lower, clocked in at 127 g for the day, much less than our society's 300-600 g/day average, but still more than I'd like. Was doing quite well (liver, eggs, and spinach for breakfast; pork roast and brasicas for dinner) until the big evening bowl of oatmeal and the ricecakes with hazelnut butter. Hey, at least I sprinkled the oats with ground flax, hemp seeds, and cinnamon!

Yesterday's exercise was a 4 km snowshoe, including a 2 km bushwhack, playing with my new GPS. For those of you who have never bushwhacked in the north woods in February before, well, lets just say it's an activity requiring safety eyewear. Just ask the one-eyed timber cruiser at Goulard Lumber. Good exercise, though!

Must be close to bedtime.

No comments: