Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sleep, glorious sleep

Three nights sleep, all without the sedatives. I didn't think it possible. I hope this trend can continue. Also, I'm going to bed at a more normal time (10:30 last night) and waking up at a more normal time (7 this morning). The pills, while necessary some nights, definitely have major drawbacks. They made me anxious about sleep (can I fall asleep without them? it's 3 am and I'm awake, should I take another 1/2 pill? I'm fatigued in the middle of the day, is that because of the pills? will I get addicted and end up forging prescriptions just to get my fix? will I be waking up at 4:30 am for the rest of my life?).

One week to go before my final chemo! Today, I'm excited about that.

Yesterday's workout:

3x5 backsquat 210 lbs
3x5 benchpress 130 lbs (working toward bodyweight!)
1x5 deadlift 315 lbs (closing in on my previous 1 rep max of 345!)
2x8 stability ball pushups
40 stability ball crunches

With the tremendous amount of food I've been eating over the last 2 weeks while on Starting Strength, I've gained 7 lbs. The goal is to get bigger muscles for the calendar shoot. For now, the basic theory is, "eat, sleep, lift heavy things." Then will come a time to 'cut' fat (eating this much not only builds muscle, but makes you pudgy). I'm careful to not overtax myself during workouts and to get lots of rest between workouts. Right now I'll take 1-2 days off between. I do wonder what the effect of my chemo drugs on muscle development is. If my hair is all falling out (my thighs are almost bare) due to the fast-growing hair follicles having been killed, how is it that new muscle cells can be created? I don't know, but it seems to be working.

No comments: