Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Feng Shui Enema

There are so many things in our lives we have no control over. And some things we do. Something shifted in me about a week ago as I tried to settle in for another winter in our small house, and my small office. My office is the end of our living room. We have done a lot to make this space as functional and compact as possible. And yet the office and work still spills into the living room, especially when I am busy and thing pile up - literally. We decided to rearrange a few things. Picture switching dining room and office, rearranging kitchen furniture and overhauling basement storage and organization. My mom is great moral, design and physical support for this kind of thing, so I called her up and she agreed to come up this weekend to help us. Bob and I have talked a lot over the last few winters about how to rearrange my office. I had resisted many of these ideas and all of a sudden it seemed like exactly the thing to do. NOW! I was feeling particularly stuck for a number of reasons... and the desire for this physical change grew fast! Within a week of the initial urge, it is done! Well, almost. The furniture is rearranged and there was a good amount of purging of old stuff. There is still a bunch of little clean up to do, but with the amount we accomplished in a weekend I felt like we were on one of the HGTV shows! In 3 hours the office was dismantled and moved and the dining room swept and set up and dinner served to my mom and Bob's brother Dave, who was driving through town! Phew! It was also great to have Bob feeling like himself and right in there with us plasticing windows, hanging new lights and hauling and sorting basement stuff. We are more than halfway through this chemo cycle! YAY Bob! Tomorrow I will finish cleaning up my new office and settle in to the new space. I like feeling and being in the new arrangement and energy of the house. It may not be a new house, but it feels refreshed! I am welcoming the change with open arms. Thanks Mom for helping us clean out the blocked up energy and space and make room for new good things!
(this post is by Anna - who was having blog problems tonite...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must feel terrific!

(When you wanted change fast, you sure called the right person when you called your mom!)

And how great to have had encouraging test results, and to have Bob acting like his old self!
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna, Hi Bob.
Bob, we haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet, but I talk with Anna quite a bit so I feel like I know you - at least a bit!

Anyhow, just wanted to share that before we moved in our current house, my husband and I also lived in a house much like yours. We used to call it the Gnome house, because it was so small and crowded. :)

But you know...there's things about it I miss (the least of which is the much cheaper heating bill!)

Hope you're enjoying your newly configured space.

Take care of each other!
Sara :)